MOT Vehicle Classes: What MOT Class is a car?
Cars, taxis, quad-bikes, motorhomes make up the most common MOT Class: Class 4.
The most common MOT Class for cars is Class 4 but here's how to quickly check:
- If your car has three wheels and is less than 450Kgs it is classed as a Class 3.
- If your car has four wheels or has three wheels and is greater than 450Kgs it is a Class 4.
This makes up most MOTs in the UK as it covers most vehicles that are greater than 450Kg such as cars, taxis, quad bikes and smaller goods vehicles:
- 3-wheeled vehicles (over 450kg unladen weight)
- Cars (up to 8 passenger seats)
- Motor caravans
- Quads (max unladen weight 400kg – for goods vehicles and max net power of 15kb)
- Dual purpose vehicles
- Private hire and public service vehicles (up to 8 seats)
- Ambulances and taxis
- Private passenger vehicles and ambulances (9-12 passenger seats)
- Goods vehicles (up to 3,000kg design gross weight)